Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Hmm, this is a long overdue blog post!

So, I must admit we have forgotten to blog... for a lonnnggg time, a lot has happened in the year and a good couple of months of not blogging. I should have been writing posts since I am currently unemployed and have done quite a bit of traveling but enough dwelling on the past, lets recap on our travels since the last post!!

Wes and I got married in April of 2008. We took our two-week honeymoon (and brought Wootraveler along with us.) We traveled to Prague, Budapest, Vienna, Salzburg, Lucerne, Interlaken and Zurich. Phew! We had a wonderful time, traveling by every means of public transportation possible -- plane, train, tram, bus, van and even cable car. It gave us the means to see more of the countries we were visiting and some spectacular mountain vistas. Highlights from our trip that I HIGHLY recommend if visiting these areas would be:

-The U Flecku brewery in Prague, best beer EVER

-Sound of Music Tour in Salzburg -- nerdy yes -- but even Wes enjoyed it, we got to see tons of places where scenes were shot for the movie and learned about the history of the real family the movie was based on. (Also got to skip down the path where Julie Andrews sings the "I have Confidence" song.



-The cable car ride up to Mt. Pilatus near Lucerne was also exhilarating (but I recommend not looking down if you are afraid of heights like I am.)
After our honeymoon we returned to a somewhat normal life back in Richmond. Things remained pretty normal until late July of 2008. Wes and I had talked about moving to another state to see more of the US. We took a quick trip to Denver to see how we liked it and instantly fell for the mountains. Around the same time my work offered me the chance to travel to Africa to conduct training on our new intranet site. I put the thought of moving on hold to pursue the project in Africa. About the time I was getting ready to leave Wes was offered a job Denver.


I traveled with my sister Chrissy to Addis Abba in Ethiopia for five days, then on to Kampala in Uganda for four days after which Chrissy left and I took a VERY long flight over to Senegal for two days before returning home. Africa was eye-opening. I saw and experienced cultures very different from the U.S. and saw poverty unlike anything we have here. The staff I met were from all over Africa. I really appreciated how accommodating and patient they were with me as we experienced, loss of power and loss of Internet numerous times during our training.

So we settled into the Denver area, we now hike and mountain bike on a regular basis -- which is very normal for here, EVERYONE is active in some way or another out here. We have had two big vacations (that I think I will post separate entries about,) we went to Costa Rica and road tripped it out to California to hit some of the National parks. Aside from that, since I have been unemployed for almost a year now (not intentionally) I did some separate travels from Wes. I went to New Mexico, Italy --including Rome, Naples, Sicily and Positano with mom to visit Chrissy. I also traveled to Mexico with my mom and aunts. It has been nice to travel but I am ready for full-time employment so Wes can do his separate travels :)

Well hopefully I will keep this blog more up-to-date, I will also do an entry on our Moab trip, more to come!

No comments: